Strang School is the on-site APSSD servicing the needs of students who are currently residing at Ranch Hope, Inc.’s Residential Treatment Facility, a behavioral healthcare center licensed by the NJ Department of Children and Families. Strang School provides instruction only to the students that reside at Ranch Hope, day students are not currently being accepted.
- Students will receive in-person instruction beginning Sept 8, 2020 as per the 20-21 school year calendar.
- Students will attend school Monday through Friday, 8:55 to 3pm daily in the approved school buildings located on the campus of Ranch Hope. These buildings are only accessed by the staff and students.
- Due to COVID 19 additional safety procedures and protocols have been put in place to minimize person to person contact.
- There is a Ranch Hope/Strang School Pandemic Response Team that meets regularly to ensure the safety of the residents/students and staff.
- On-line learning is limited due to the treatment restrictions that are in place while a youth is residing at Ranch Hope. Due to Ranch Hope/Strang School being a closed cell, regular school and social distancing can be maintained even in the event of a COVID case being on campus. If a youth exhibits or contracts COVID 19, Ranch Hope’s quarantine and isolation procedures will be enacted to maintain the safety and well-being of all youth/staff.
- All staff and students will be screened daily and have their temperatures taken.
- All Strang School staff and students will be required to wear a face covering when indoors and when social distancing cannot not be maintained.
- All rooms will have signage or markings to ensure safe social distancing.
- All students will wear a face covering when moving through the halls or if they get up from their seat in the classroom.
- Students will be scheduled in “teams” to minimize interactions between students from other “teams” during the school day.
- All students will be informed of the 6’ social distancing practices.
- Staff will limit the use of shared items as much as possible and in areas that items must be shared items will be wiped down in between uses with disinfecting wipes.
- The Ranch Hope maintenance department will ensure that indoor facilities will have adequate ventilation by maintaining operational heating and ventilation systems where appropriate and that recirculated air has a fresh air component. Heating and AC filters will be properly maintained according to manufacturer recommendations.
- If a student is ill, they will remain in their treatment home on campus and will not be permitted to return to school until cleared by Ranch Hope’s on-site APN.
- Hand Sanitizer will be available in every room, near building entry and exit points, and near the cafeteria and bathrooms. The custodial staff will ensure that these areas will be maintained with the appropriate soap/sanitizers.
- Cleaning and disinfecting will take place daily in classrooms and throughout school buildings.
- Students walk daily from their treatment homes to School; transportation is not necessary. Presently field trips are suspended. In the even that travel is necessary students/staff will be required to wear a face covering and enact practices of social distancing to the maximum extent practicable.
Student Flow, Entry, Exit and Common Areas
- Residential treatment staff will inform the school nurse if a youth is exhibiting any COVID related symptoms prior to bringing them to school. The student will remain in their treatment home until the nurse can determine if it is safe for the student to attend school. The nurse will confer with the Ranch Hope APN to determine if a student needs to be sent for testing and/or be quarantined.
- Staff and students will be screened daily for COVID symptoms and have their temperature taken upon arrival to the building.
- Physical guides and markings will be in place to help ensure that staff and students maintain appropriate social distancing when entering and exiting the building.
Screening/PPE/and Response to Students and Staff Presenting Symptoms
- The Ranch Hope/Strang School Pandemic Team work continuously to ensure that staff call-offs and staff that present symptoms are screened and directed how to enact and maintain safety protocols before returning to work.
- The Strang school nurse and Ranch Hope APN are in daily, direct communication with local health officials and administration. Students’ parents/guardians are notified in the event that a student presents with symptoms.
- Students that present with symptoms will be sent for COVID testing coordinated by the Ranch Hope APN. While awaiting results the student will be moved from their cottage to a separate cottage away from peers and quarantined until test results are returned. If the results are positive the student will then be moved to the Hope Home cottage along with assigned staff. Staff will follow quarantine protocols and the same staff will remain with the youth for 14 days until student is cleared to return to his residence and school. Staff will be sent home and required to follow COVID protocols before returning to work on campus.
- Any staff presenting symptoms while at work will be sent home immediately and required to follow COVID guidelines to ensure they are safe to return to campus.
- If a youth or staff is diagnosed with having COVID the Ranch Hope/Strang School HR department will request a list of all individuals that the diagnosed individual has been in contact with during the past 72 hours. HR will communicate to the individuals reported on that list they may have been exposed to COVID. The HR department will also share that information with the Ranch Hope APN who communicates directly with the CDC.
Facilities Cleaning Practices
- Custodial staff and school personnel have been informed of their responsibilities to increase the cleaning and disinfection of targeted areas.
- Students lunch times have been staggered to minimize the number of students that eat lunch together in the cafeteria. Tables are arranged to maintain social distancing and limiting the number of students/staffs to 2 per table.
- Floor markings have been put in place to maintain social distancing while individuals retrieve their lunches.
- Cafeteria staff serve meals or offer items prepackaged for consumption.
- PE and Recess has been staggered. The staff overseeing these activities have been instructed to choose activities that will allow for social distancing and if equipment is used it will be sanitized in between uses.
- Students will be escorted to an area where handwashing or hand sanitizing can be followed after physical education or recess.
- Most activities will be outdoors weather permitting if not the assigned room for use will allow for designated areas to be used to limit cohort mixing.
Field Trips/Extra-curricular Activities & Us of Facilities Outside of School Hours
- Presently Strang School does not organize extracurricular activities after school.
- Field trips/or guest presenters have been suspended until further notice.
- Outside visitors or organizations are not permitted on the premises of Ranch Hope/Strang School until further notice. Visitors are limited to essential staff and vendors. Visitors/vendors are required to wear the appropriate face covering and maintain social distancing. All visitors are required to have their temperature taken and asked COVID related questions to ensure safety.